Tuesday, July 24, 2012

How to Restore Old Gawker Commenting System [Lifehacker, Kotaku, io9]

Over the past few weeks, Gawker Media has begun rolling out a new commenting system, called Kinja, on its network of websites (Kotaku, Jalopnik, Deadspin, Jezebel, Gizmodo, io9, Gawker and Lifehacker). Rather than showing all comments on a given article, Kinja shows only the most interesting thread of comments and replies. Now instead of a long stream of comments, users can choose which threads to read. Gawker Media publisher Nick Denton hopes that this will finally erase the traditional distinctions between writers, editors, readers, subject, and sources.


Although the logic behind Kinja is sound, the implementation is not. The new commenting system is so minimalistic that nothing is intuitive to use. For example, suppose you want to read the comments. Instead of scrolling down, you now have to click through all the replies in a thread.

To counter the new commenting system, one dissatisfied Kotaku commenter has come up with a browser extension\add-on that one can install to restore the commenting system to its former glory.

Download Link : 

Once installed, visit any of the Gawker site and click on the "SHOW ALL (Go Classic!)" link to view all the comments in the good old fashioned way.

 

Result :

 

Before
After
Also Check :

8 comments:

  1. I'd prefer the old comment interface than the new one,it makes me confused at the moment,
    Thanks to write about this useful article,
    Could I share this articles on my blog to let my friends know about using this very useful tips?
    I have a lot of friends who always visit Gawker media,
    dont worry,I will keep your url on your article,

    http://www.advantoday.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah why not? Just make sure to provide a link to this post on your blog :)

      Delete
  2. I will post this article on my blog next week,when I have spare time to write about on my blog,I'm so busy right now,LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bluetonic is now my hero. I can actually start visiting these sites again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good posting about How to Restore Old Gawker Commenting System [Lifehacker, Kotaku, io9]

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a follower of Lifehacker.com, Many Thanks for creating this addon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't thank me, thank Bluetonic, hes the author of this awesome extension :)

      Delete

Your feedback is always appreciated. We will try to reply to your queries as soon as time allows.